I’m buried under index cards, hence this post.
1. Lists of all kinds. Book lists. Shopping lists. To-do lists. Lists of clothing and shoe sizes for everyone in your family. Lists of movies you want to watch. Lists of supplies for art projects.
2. Write a poem or flash fiction to fit on an index card (okay, you can use the back as well).
3. Doodle on them.
4. Write an inspiring quote on one. Tack it up on the wall, put in your pocket, keep propped up on your keyboard. I should slip one in my laptop that says, “GET OFF THE INTERNET” but then this post would never get published.
5. Write notes on them for the loved ones you share your house with (yeah, *those* people). Slip in your spouse’s lunch, hide them in the book your kid is reading.
6. Flashcards! Who needs to buy any when you have index cards? Seriously.
7. Schedule out your week or month in index cards, one for each day.
8. Use them to organize your thoughts. Remember the SUCCES model from Made to Stick? Before any kind of situation where you’re communicating a message–business meeting, agent pitch, teaching lesson–write out the one mission-critical point you want to get across.
9. And when you’re done, you can recycle them by: using them as bookmarks, letting your kids get tearing or cutting practice, gluing them into scrapbooks and art journals.
Really into index cards? Check out the following links: